Social Media Policy
Village of Manlius Social Media Policy
This policy applies to all official Village of Manlius social media sites including but not limited to the Village’s Facebook page and Instagram page. Each of the Village’s social media sites is intended to be a limited public forum. The purpose of the sites is to enable the Village to post regarding matters of public interest concerning Village programs, activities, and news, and to enable members of the public to comment on those posts. Comments from the public should be relevant to the subject matter of the post they are responding to.
The Village seeks to maintain an environment that is civil and appropriate for all ages. The Village reserves the right to remove comments to the extent that they do not follow this policy, including comments containing the following categories of statements:
- Statements that are not topically relevant
- Profane, obscene, violent, pornographic, or sexual content
- Unlawful harassment or threats to any person, group, or organization
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems
- Statements that defame any person, group, or organization
- Statements that promote, foster, or perpetuate discrimination on the basis of any legally protected category including but not limited to race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation
- Solicitations of commerce, or advertisements
- Statements that violate a legal ownership interest of any other party, or that include copyrighted or trademarked material
- Disclosure of any proprietary, confidential, or privileged information
- Statements in support of or opposition to any political campaigns or candidates, or ballot measures not directly concerning the Village of Manlius
The Village will save copies of any comments removed in accordance with this policy. The Village also reserves the right to disable comments entirely in order to further the purposes of this policy. The Village is not responsible for and does not endorse any comment placed on a Village social media site by a visitor to the site.
Any comment posted on a Village of Manlius social media site is a public record subject to disclosure pursuant to applicable law. Activity on Village social media sites is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local law and regulations.